Celebrating the New World: Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (American Ways Series) Review

Celebrating the New World: Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (American Ways Series)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Are you looking to buy Celebrating the New World: Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (American Ways Series)? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Celebrating the New World: Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (American Ways Series). Check out the link below:

>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers

Celebrating the New World: Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (American Ways Series) ReviewAfter reading Devil In The White City, a book about the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1893, I was drawn to find out a bit more about it. I got a copy of Celebrating the New World - Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 by Robert Muccigrosso from the library the other day, and I think this is another book that suffers a bit from what I ended up reading first...
Contents: Setting for a Celebration; The City on the Prairie; A Gathering of Architects; "You Must See This Fair"; A Community of Ideas; For Some, A Harder Struggle; Satisfying Popular Tastes; Legacies of a City of Dreams; A Note on Sources; Index
I'll grant that this book is not meant to be done in a style of Devil in the White City. That was a storytelling approach, and this is more of a scholarly coverage of the event and what led up to it. If I had read this one first, I'm not sure I would have gotten the full impact of the gargantuan task that was undertaken with this fair, and how many obstacles had to be overcome to make it all come together. I did learn a bit more about how hard the women's movement worked to get a voice in the event, and how African-Americans were virtually ignored. There was also quite a bit of religious ecumenicalism that was a topic during the fair, and I was totally unaware of that angle. Still, the people in this book are really just names. In my prior reading, they were people with feelings, depth, and color... Here, the Ferris Wheel is just a contraption. There, it was the cornerstone of the fair meant to surpass Paris and the Eiffel Tower.
If you've never been exposed to the Chicago World's Fair, this would be an OK place to start your reading. But you won't come away with the awe and wonder of what was actually accomplished. There are other books that do a far better job in putting flesh on the people behind it all...Celebrating the New World: Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (American Ways Series) Overview

Want to learn more information about Celebrating the New World: Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (American Ways Series)?

>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment