Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Are you looking to buy Chicago Catholics and the Struggles within Their Church? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Chicago Catholics and the Struggles within Their Church. Check out the link below:
>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers
Chicago Catholics and the Struggles within Their Church ReviewThis is probably Andrew Greeley's last book. He finished the major work on it just before his serious head injury, and his colleagues and editors brought it to publication. Greeley writes in the Foreword: "The late Cardinal Albert Meyer sent me to graduate school to learn sociology so I could study the Archdiocese. He was succeeded by Cardinal John Cody who did not need a sociologist or anyone else to help him. Thereupon I disappeared, even from the directory of Chicago priests for some years. This is a project I've always wanted to do and for which I was trained a half century ago. It occurred to me as I approached my eightieth birthday that time was running out ... so if I was to study the sociology of the Archdiocese I'd better do it myself while there was still time."The study he designed and financed involved about 524 participants. Many of the conclusions from the surveys are in line with conclusions he has found from other less-focused surveys. Greeley rightfully sees the hope in those conclusions. Because it is a probability survey, there is some consideration given to validly applying those conclusions to the church in the US.
Because a number of respondents who had left the Catholic church seemed willing, even eager, to discuss their choices, there were some follow-up interviews included in the appendix, with Greeley offering some comments at the end of each one. These interviews are by far the most difficult part of the book to read and reflect on. They represent the failures of the Catholic church to be the bearer of good news to its own members. No church should accept such failures without serious soul-searching.
Greeley has spent his sociological career studying the religion practiced in his own church, revealing its hidden strengths along with its weaknesses. He spent his literary career telling stories of hope and love to encourage his readers to seek the God at the heart of the church. He finishes now, leaving us with a strong finish and challenging us to do better in the coming time.Chicago Catholics and the Struggles within Their Church Overview
Want to learn more information about Chicago Catholics and the Struggles within Their Church?
>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now
0 comments:
Post a Comment